Indentation script for R

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Dec 11 07:56:24 UTC 2017

Hi Pierre!

(Once more I had meant to get back to you long before...)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 14:42:22 +1300
Pierre de Villemereuil <pierre.de.villemereuil at mailoo.org> wrote:
> I've now tested the indent script against Kate5 and the KF5-based
> version of RKWard (openSUSE R project switched to that branch for
> dependencies reasons) and it seems to be working there (although a
> slightly different header is needed with the KF5 version).

Great!

> What I realised however, is that the script requires the r.xml syntax
> file to be installed so that Kate knows about a language named R.
> Yet, this file is packaged with RKWard, not KatePart.

The file is packaged with RKWard, but also with KatePart. Or, more
precisely, the syntax highlighting has been split out into a separate
module, around a year(?) ago. You can find the r.xml-file, here:
https://cgit.kde.org/syntax-highlighting.git/tree/data/syntax . It also
does not get installed _as that file_ any more, but rather what gets
installed is a pre-compiled collection of all the syntax highlighting
definitions in that directory.

So that should not be a problem. Or did you actually test and find "R
Script" missing in kate?

> So, Thomas, regarding your suggestion to submit the script to
> KTextEdit, this is a problem: without the r.xml file, it's basically
> useless. So I'd say there is three possibilities from there:
> - give up and just let people individually download the script online
> on my github repo
> - submit both r.xml and this indent script to KTextEdit
> - include this indent script to RKWard rather than KTextEdit

I continue to be open for including this in RKWard, but submitting to
ktexteditor is still the best option, IMO. (This is the place where it
would go to:
https://cgit.kde.org/ktexteditor.git/tree/src/script/data/indentation)

Thanks for keeping it up!