a bunch of weird bugs

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Sep 14 20:20:20 UTC 2016

hi,

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2016, 20:29:33 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:51:24 +0200
> meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > yes, the file is being updated immediately (and plots are being
> > added).
>
> No good idea on this, immediately, then. Please check the
> rkward.frontend log. Problems watching the file for changes _should_
> show up, there, hopefully along with something helpful.

yes, think there's some hints concerning a missing ibus connection, see
screenshot (sorry for attaching, i didn't manage to get the shared folders/
clipboard to work).

> > btw, in the virtual machine the import/export file dialogs show the
> > same buggy behavior in the kf5 build as i've recorded here:
> >  http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/screencast_RKWard_menu_bug.avi
> >
> > i.e., they are simply unusable.
>
> Hm. This would be easier to pin down, if I could see it, too.

ok, here's the current live DVD image (~3.6 GB) i'm working on:
 http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/RKWard/rkward.iso
you can boot from it in a virtualbox machine or use the ubuntu startup medium
creator to put it on a >=4GB USB flash drive. after you'll have to

 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rkward-devel/rkward-kf5-backports-daily-cran
 sudo aptitude update
 sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

to replace 0.6.5 with the kf5 build.

[i've also documented the building procedure for the ISO image in form of a
script, in case we need to replicate the process. could be a nice addition to
installation bundles, because it comes with some additional repos
preconfigured and RKWard plugins/R packages installed]

> The one unusual thing we do with those menus is me make the same menu
> accessible from the Open/Save toolbar buttons (how about the menu,
> there, BTW. Does that show up, correctly?).

yes! the import dialog works without problems from there!

> > i see it in the IRT plugin (e.g., fit rasch model). does the code
> > need fixes?
>
> I see. But did that work in the KDE 4 version?

ha, no, it didn't ;-) looks like i haven't touched it in a while. it must have
worked at one point, though.

> Problem is you are checking for a) data.frame or matrix class (that test
> succeeds), then b) for data type "numeric". Problem is b), since RKWard
> considers matrices and data.frames as mere "containers" that do not have a
> data type. I can see your intention, and this should not be too hard to
> implement. I am not sure, though, whether all existing plugins that do
> test for numeric data, are prepared to handle matrices, and esp.
> data.frames. Alternative would be to introduce a new notation for this
> case, like "numeric_columns", "string_columns", etc.
>
> Thoughts?

none yet. the dialog works as it should, it's just the warning symbol. that's
not a show-stopper.