a bunch of weird bugs

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Sep 14 17:51:24 UTC 2016

hi,

Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2016, 18:09:49 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 12:51:36 +0200
> meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> >  - when submitting a calculation, the results window doesn't show
> >    automatically, and it is also not updated automatically when new
> >    results are appended
>
> Likely cause is that the system fails to detect that the output file
> has been modified. Is that in osme unusual location?

it's in ~/.rkward as usual. i can manually open the file and see the changes,
but i always have to hit the update button for new content to become visible.

i also tested with the kf5 build, no change.

> On the stick?

i'm currently running it from virtualbox.

> If you monitor the output file in dolphin while running a plugin, do you
> see the timestamp updating?

yes, the file is being updated immediately (and plots are being added).

> >  - submitting a plot doesn't create/raise a graphics device, calling
> >    plot() from the console does
>
> Never did, it's still going to the ouput. --> See problem above.

ah, silly me -- of course.

> >  - detaching a plot from the preview first adds it to the plot
> >    history, but when i go back one plot it's deleted
>
> Probably a genuine bug, but does not look like the most pressing issue
> on the list, right?

no, not at all.

btw, in the virtual machine the import/export file dialogs show the same buggy
behavior in the kf5 build as i've recorded here:
 http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/screencast_RKWard_menu_bug.avi

i.e., they are simply unusable.

> > i also tried the KF5 branch, but get "graphics API don't match"
> > errors when trying to get previews -- the KF5 PPA builds against
> > stock R, not CRAN, right?
>
> I was about to write back to tell you that - contrary to my own
> recollection - we already have a -cran variant for that, too. Then saw
> that you have just created it, yourself...

yes, and i've just added another one including the kubuntu backports PPA, to
rule out that the menu issue is being triggered by a mismatch of symbols
between build and runtime. well, it didn't help :-/

> > also in KF5:
> >  - the valueslots in dialogs seem to be incapable of detecting the
> >    class of selected objects, i only get "unknown" and a warning symbol
>
> Which plugin? Works for me in "Basic Statistics" (match by class name),
> and "t-test" (match by data type).

i see it in the IRT plugin (e.g., fit rasch model). does the code need fixes?

> > a quick solution would be great, i still have to fill 50 USB
> > sticks ;-)
>
> Yes, I see. What's the deadline?

we're going sunday, so saturday is the last chance to fill those flash drives.
it will take almost 5 hours (from previous tests it takes about 10-15 minutes
for a full installation, and we have three machines).

> Note that I'll probably be disconnected from the net for most of tomorrow
> (switching provider).

o-oh... hope you're not off for the next 6 months... 8-]