probable grave bug: SPSS data with umlauts in factor levels can lead to data loss

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Jun 26 21:40:29 UTC 2016

hi,

i've run into a weird problem that turned out to be a really dangerous bug:
we've imported a SPSS .sav file that had some variables with predefined factor
levels, which were transformed into R factors. entering data was possible
without problems, no warnings were raised.

we saved the data to a .Rdata file (no warnings or errors), but when we re-
imported it later on, all cells with a factor level that had an umlaut in its
name (e.g., "männlich") were just <NA>, both in the editor window as well as
in the R console. that is, the data was completely gone and had to be re-
entered. this was reproduceable.

i renamed a level from "männlich" into "maennlich" and only then the data was
correctly saved.