missing help browser on OS X

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Jun 23 21:17:57 UTC 2016

Am Donnerstag, 23. Juni 2016, 22:35:04 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Looks like we're getting closer, but: Good question. Are these the
> same git revision? Do they use the same R version?

the bundle was actually *made* from that particula local build! and they both
use the same installation of R.

> I don't have a good idea, right now. Looks like the URL is taken to be a
> relative URL, therefore the local path is added to make it absolute. My
> problem in understanding is that I don't see how we are interfering with
> this from RKWard at all, as long as using an external browser.

i'm as surprised as you are.

> When safari gets invoked on that broken URL, what does "ps"
> show as the command line?

hm, interesting...

  243   ??  S      0:00.00 sh -c
/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
"http://127.0.0.1:21385/library/utils/html/help.html" > /dev/null 2>&1 ||
/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
"http://127.0.0.1:21385/library/utils/html/help.html" &
  244   ??  S      0:01.14 /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
http://127.0.0.1:21385/library/utils/html/help.html

as it turns out, safari needs to be started by setting browser to
"/usr/bin/open". then it does open up the correct help page at once. so that
was not leading anywhere, actually :-/

the option seems to be set correctly. i tried invoking the main part of the
browser function directly:

 .rk.do.plain.call("showHTML", as.character("http://127.0.0.1:...."),
   synchronous = FALSE)

using a valid URL from a previously launched safari -- nothing (i.e., new
empty tab). when i replaced the URL with something from the WWW, RKWard asks
if the page should be opened with the standard application, as expected. so
there *is* some evaluation taking place.