building smaller mac-bundles

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jul 2 19:52:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 19:48:44 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 29. Juni 2016, 18:13:44 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > QtWebKit was indeed deprecated in Qt 5.6 and this _is_ a problem
> > for us on Windows (where the replacement is _not_ buildable using
> > MinGW).
>
> does this mean that QtWebEngine is not available, or that RKWard
> doesn't build with it?
>  https://wiki.qt.io/Porting_from_QtWebKit_to_QtWebEngine

it means QtWebEngine is available only for MSVC builds. And compiling
RKWard with MSVC is problematic due to R for Windows being MinGW
based (not downright impossible, but really troublesome, and introducing
hard-to-fix bugs - let alone non-technical reasons to be sceptical of
MSVC). QtWebKit should(TM) continue to work, but will eventually grow
obsolete.

What we will probably have to do in the mid term - on Windows - is to
compile the RKWard frontend using MSVC and the RKWard backend using
MinGW. Either way, this problem is what kept me from porting to
QtWebEngine in frameworks, so far.

> > qtwebkit should still build from source, so I assume
> >   emerge qtwebkit
> > should fix the problem (and I'll have to add it as a dependency in
> > the port file).
>
> unfortunately, "emerge qtwebkit" just shows a message that an older
> version is available but won't compile/install. i suppose it would
> only be installable with an older version of the Qt libraries
> alltogether, but that would be riding a dead horse, wouldn't it?

What's the exact message? No, it is supposed to be compilable/usable
with Qt 5.6 at the least, only qtwebkit itself will not see any updates.