[rkward-devel] Import preview? (CSV)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Jan 1 21:07:36 UTC 2016

Hi, and happy new year!

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 21:41:49 +0100
d_jan <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> Am 30.12.2015 um 11:37 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > my thoughts keep returning to a button-like solution…
>
> Yes, I think thats o.k., it is not really elegant, but a step forward
> (a big one, if it enables us to have a preview) , and that’s what is
> important.
>
> Along these lines, I thought of
> - having checkboxes instead of buttons

Ah, checkbox, yes. Seems kind of obvious, now that you mention it...
One advantage would be that it is at least somewhat similar to current
plot previews.

> - Showing code and/or preview in a tabbed area. Having tabs has the
> advantage that the tabs ("place-where-we-show-stuff") have titles, so
> the user knows that "show code" matches to the "code" tab etc. So even
> if only one thing (e.g. code) is shown, the tab performs a useful
> function.
>
> What do you think of that?

I had thought about tabs, too, a bit. But how do you hide all previews?
(There's also the - minor - issue that this would only allow one
preview at a time.)

Alternatively, we could also insert some kind of title (and even a
close/collapse button) above each preview, without needing tabs.

> > We also have the  concept of "Wizards" (e.g. there is one for
> > Analysis->Means->t-Test).
> > Rarely used, and perhaps not often useful
>
> I like them actually – from the perspective of the beginner, they are
> probably useful. In this case, the preview would be the last step, if
> possible, or would be shown at the last step. Does that make sense?

That's essentially the way the "code preview" is integrated into
wizards, ATM. I was a bit un-satisfied that this would mean you don't
really get to see the preview *while* making settings in the UI. But
yes, it does make sense after all.