Undocking (plot) preview

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Feb 6 12:33:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 22:15:31 +0100
jan <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea from the technical point of view, but I assume it is
> not easy to grasp for the user. It is most likely that users would
> see the preview not as some "view" (in the MVC-meaning of view) of
> the data but as "the one preview" – just because most people are used
> to that.
>
> So I would recommend that you can easily dock/undock the preview, but
> – if that makes still sense – to provide the duplicate in the menu.

I see your point, but I think we are talking about two different
things. I'll try again:

1. A "true" preview detach/re-attach functionality as you describe it
  will not be trivial to implement. Possible: yes, easy: no. Thus, I'm
  wondering, whether that is needed at all?
2. The initial starting point was that I wanted to keep the option of
  detached plot previews _because_ they provided functionality which was
  not available from a docked plot preview (importantly: directly
  saving to an image file, or printing).
3. The reason for 2) is essentially gone as far as I am aware, since
  the docked preview now offers that functionality, too.
4. In case somebody really, really needs a plot preview in a separate
  window, something roughly similar to detaching is available. It is
  not the same as detaching, and it is not named "detach", either, but
  it might just be good enough to cover any use-cases that I have not
  thought of.
Thus:
5. What are the use-cases I have not thought of: Is there a good reason
  "true" detachable previews, other than nice-to-have?

> One important thing: I would strongly advice to find another name
> instead of "device" – like "visualization", "graphic", or even
> "display" or "view".

"Device" is the terminology in R. Would anybody find "Graphic"
confusing?