[rkward-devel] 0.6.4 release preparations / KF5 port

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 30 08:38:00 UTC 2015

Hi!

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 23:11:15 +0100
jan <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> Looking forward to the 0.6.4!
>
> > is a re-design of the scatterplot
> > plugin (around an <optionset>-element)
> I could help with this – is there some (very) preliminary design,
> ideas, whatever? Ideally, with some visualization (photographed
> sketch, scan, .svg, …)?

Only in my head... My ideas:

The initial XY-selection would probably remain as is. This still seems
to be the fastest way to specify the objects to plot. One desirable
change would be if the plugin also allows to plot all Y vars against the
same X var (without having to repeat the X var). This may or may not
require an additional control in the XY-selection area, or it could
even mean splitting the plugin in two.

For the other settings, the key idea is to allow specification of
color, line type, symbol, size _per XY pair_. That's what the optionset
element would be needed for. Of course, it will still be useful to have
a good way to define a default look for all XY pairs at once. So we'd
need controls for the "default" colors/line style, etc. and for
each XY pair the settings would allow to use either the default
color/... or a custom one.

For line style, symbol, size the "default" would be a single value. For
color, it would be great to support an automatic color range
(rainbow()/heat.colors()/grey()). But of course we don't need
everything all at once.

This seems mostly straightforward, except for the placement of
options... Sketching the UI is going to be the first step.
Personally, I usually do this directly in the plugin.xml, as it is
fairly easy to move / change options, there (or in rkwarddev).

Not sure how deeply / on what level you want to get involved, here.
Regarding the actual implementation, this one is not going to be the
easiest plugin for getting started (esp. figuring out how to hook up
the optionset-control with the object selection). But if you want to
give that a shot, too, I'll be around to help, where needed.