[rkward-devel] Bug: Submit not active in several plugins (?)

jan d_jan at ymail.com
Mon Nov 23 19:42:59 UTC 2015

Am 23.11.2015 um 20:26 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:

>>> 1d. On pressing the "Submit"-button, there could be a warning
>>> dialog: "Do you really want to do this?", with a "Don't ask again"
>>> option.
>> It would be really good, if the text in not generic, but offers some
>> help to decide what to do. Instead of "Do you really want…" we could
>> have "The Variable [name] for [varslot] has the type [type] but the
>> function only takes [right type]. The calculation might not give a
>> result." I don’t know how hard it is to create, but we should at least
>> have all the information we need.
> Yes, should be doable. At least the part specifying where the problem
> is found, and what property exactly does not look right. Rather
> difficult, again, for specifying what exactly might go wrong, in case
> the user choses to proceed. In current master, I've changed the
> behavior to soft checks for now. The per-item warning now says "may
> lead to failures or unexpected results". I don't think the dialog would
> be any more specific in this respect, either.
Indeed –  I think it matters most, is to tell where and what the cause
is, so the user has a start to recover (like he/she can with a text
telling what looks wrong why)
>>> 2. If allowing for hard checks, and in particular if we allow for
>>> hard checks _in addition to_ soft checks, these should work by
>>> refusing the object in question right away. I am still not sure,
>>> how to solve this, UI wise, but perhaps it's ok'ish to simply pop
>>> up a dialog "No, you can't do this, because...", when the user
>>> clicks the "Add"-button with an invalid object selected. That will
>>> be somewhat annoying, but OTOH it is not something users would try
>>> to do all the time.
>> Seems like a good idea. Though we should try to save the user the
>> click on "o.k.". (There might still be cases in which – e.g. desperate
>> students – just try try try… :-) ) Could we show this like a system
>> notification that sort of pulls down or the like?
>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_notification)
> Hm, that should be possible. But if we want to avoid the user having to
> click "ok"/"close", how / when will the message go away?
They can still be closed, usually with and x or o.k. or the like (see
this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_notification#/media/File:Windows_8_Notification.png)
. They are just not "modal", meaning, they do not *need* to be clicked
before proceeding.

Regards,
 Jan