[rkward-devel] Bug: Submit not active in several plugins (?)

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Nov 22 16:27:14 UTC 2015

hi,

Am Samstag, 21. November 2015, 15:17:41 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> I discussed this a bit with Meik, back then, and we did not quite
> agree. Meik argued for "hard" checks (if any), which is what is in
> place, now. I was thinking more along the lines of "ok, let's show the
> user that this is likely to be wrong, but do allow to proceed".

i do remember we discussed this, but i don't recall my position :-D trying to
think of a reason for wanting hard checks, i guess my view could have been: if
a plugin author explicitly defines classes for input, he probably means it. i
don't know...

do *we* have to decide whether hard or soft checks should be done? here's
three ideas for a default with configurable exceptions:

 1. add a new boolean attribute to elements that support value checks, to
    toggle hard/soft checks. this would enable plugin authors enforce hard
    checks when soft ones were to become the new default, for example (i.e.,
    "hard_checks=FALSE" would be the default value for these elements, making
    soft checks the default globally).

 2. add an option to RKWard's configuration to let users decide if they prefer
    hard checks or mere warnings, globally

 3. keep hard checks the default, but add some sort of override option to
    plugins with checks, so users can willingly turn off hard checks. this
    would kind of force them to recognize that what they're about to to was
    not intended by the plugin author, but they can say "i got it, now do it
    anyway"

    this could be a standard warning window (with a yes-or-no choice) that
    pops up if you hit execute while you have provided invalid objects, or a
    checkbox in the right area of plugins like "treat checks like suggestions"
    or something