[rkward-devel] Optionset UI rework (was: Usability progress, testing on Mac)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Nov 4 10:24:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:37:58 +0100
d_jan <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> >> - Klicking on the + only would be…
>
> oops. some characters got lost. anyway, it has low priority I think;
> it were some thoughts on the interaction to open the options.

Ok, let me know, if that's still current. (Expand / collapse did have
some bugs, hopefully fixed, by now).

> >>  - There should be some "visual coherence"…
>
> attached a mockup of a possible style, which helps the user to
> navigate the optionset better (in particular, it hopefully shows how
> a row and the gui for setting the options belong together; there are
> as well some suggestions to make it more similar like guis people
> know)
>
> I could describe the changes here, but it is much easier to read them
> in the pdf with the graphic aside.

Ok, I've implemented this with some differences.
1) Expand / collapse indicator: I've used standard KIcon arrows, here.
If you don't like my choice, if possible, pick one from
  kdialog --geticon action
2) Lines between all rows seemed a bit crowded to me. I have now added
lines around the active item (and it's editor), only. What do you
think?
3) Color of the current row: I tried changing this to a "normal"
background (and I can easily show you that, if you like), but that did
not seem to work out. The issue is hovering: The row will still change
color, slightly, when hovered (which makes a lot of sense, too, since
you can interact with it). In fact, since you probably just clicked on
it to expand it, it will look hovered, initially, while the "editor" UI
will not (this would be rather difficult to achieve). Thus, the visual
coherence falls apart, here.
In addition, once un-hovered, i.e. once the background color really was
the same, the text of the row seemed to "clash" with the texts in the
editor area ("Select variable(s)", here). I.e. it looked as if these
texts might actually belong to the same string. This could possibly be
solved with some spacing, but I did not look into that (controlling the
spacing is a difficult beast, too, as there are subtle differences
between styles, and platforms, in this).
Instead, I went back to the regular blue selection highlighting, hoping
the lines alone will do the trick, and make this look more like a
caption to the editor (which, in essence, it is).