[rkward-devel] plugins: optionset; use and usability

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri May 29 11:54:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, 29 May 2015 09:21:21 +0200
Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
wrote:
> Note that
> there is - some - flexibility in the looks&layout. E.g. perhaps the
> usage would become more obvious if reducing the status display to
> only a single column, and placing it side-by-side with the settings
> controls.

To clarify / elaborate on this: The "optiondisplay" of an optionset
serves a mixed purpose:
1. To select a row of settings to edit / adjust.
2. To visualize the settings for all existing rows.

1 is pretty essential, but could certainly be solved in some other
form, too. 2 seemed nice to have, but is not functionally relevant. The
following will give you a display showing only an index number, while
you would have to click on each row to see the settings:

<optionset id="...">
  <content>
    <frame>
      <row>
        <optiondisplay index="true"> <!-- Numeric index -->
        <column>
          <radio .../>
          <input .../>
        </column>
      </row>
    </frame>
  </content>
  <!-- Note: If you don't want an optioncolumn to be shown in the
  optiondisplay, simply omit the "label"-attribute -->
  <optioncolumn id="..." connect="..."/>
</optionset>

I suppose this might be a step towards less confusion (at the cost of
showing less info)?

As another addendum, if you activate "Plugins under
Development" (Settings->Manage R packages and plugins->Manage RKWard
plugins), you will get some additional plugins in the "Analysis" menu.
One of them is "Optionset Test", showing some other uses of the
optionset (but not what you are looking for), and "Input Matrix Test"
for testing some different uses of the <matrix> control.