[rkward-devel] Usability: Informal/Heuristics based remarks

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu May 21 13:37:55 UTC 2015

hi jan,

welcome & thanks for the input :-)

my thoughts on the first issue:

Am Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2015, 21:05:28 schrieb Jan Wort:
> Best would be undo. But this is often hard to implement.
>
> Second best: A warning and/or a "locking" of the data, which allows to
> select data and copy it, but not to manipulate the data itself manually (In
> my experience, the manual changing of data points does rarely makes sense
> anyway, but that is just an educated guess)

as thomas pointed out, it is already possible to lock data frames for editing,
and i agree this could be more visible.

i would oppose a move towards locking imported data by default, though -- that
would drive me crazy :-D

how about this:

 1) we add a checkbox to the import dialogs do make the data.frame
    locked/editable after import (can then still be changed, of course)

 2) we add a configuration option for the default setting of this checkbox

then everyone can set the default to one's taste.

allthough some might prefer locking data by default, i would imagine a lot of
regular users would find this annoying, especially since this behavior would
be unexpectedly different from what you're used to by other applications with
spreadsheets (i think neither SPSS, LibreOffice Calc or Excel lock tables
after they were opened).