[rkward-devel] Moving to KDE: Where exactly are we heading?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu May 7 18:17:01 UTC 2015

Hi,

this thread is pretty hard to read, indeed. I'll focus on the
conceptual things for now, leaving the technical details for later.

On Wed, 06 May 2015 20:41:14 +0200
Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El Dimecres, 6 de maig de 2015, a les 16:46:35, Mario Fux va escriure:
> > That's something Albert can tell you much better then me (or
> > correct my following assumptions). To be released as part of kdeedu
> > and thus a KDE Applications release (next one in August as 15.08):
> > - You need to take care of the right version number (so either you
> > follow the YY.MM release versions of KDE Application or you stay
> > with your own version numbers but need to increase them at the
> > right time too of course ;-).
> > - You need to take care of your master branch so it's in a
> > releasable state at the right times (when the releases: beta, rc,
> > etc. happen).
> > - The release scripts of the release manager takes care of the rest
> > of the release process.
> > - On the promo/marketing side you should inform (there might be
> > some changes on the promo processes in the near future) the
> > kde-promo team about what changed and what's worth to be mentioned
> > in the release stories, notes and announcements.
>
> Also the rest of the kde+kdeedu world has to agree the application
> makes sense as part of kdeedu.

Yes, of course. Right now we're trying to figure out, where we
think we _want_ to go.

> > > Mario, would a scheme like this be considered ok'ish?
> >
> > I think so. What do you think, Albert?
>
> Dsitributions are going to hate that, you're giving them two things
> to package and they have to decide what to pacakge, and decisions
> don't make them happy (or i totally misunderstood what you want to
> do, that can also be :D)

Well, so far I haven't really understood what I want to do, either ;-).
I'm just exploring our options, here. But the plan would be to stick
to the global release schedule as much as possible, of course.

Currently my main concern about this is that this might be not-so-ideal
when it comes to getting testing feedback from our existing user base
(rather specialized, rather UI-conservative). Thus, my general idea
would be to make sure we have essentially finished our release testing
_before_ the KDE Applications freeze. Then, to keep our testers happy,
and to bridge the gap between this and the actual release, we'd offer a
semi-official version roughly at this point.

Thinking about it, this semi-official version would not even need a
different name, only we'd advertise this "beta" as a "pretty stable
preview" on our download page, etc. Thus, also no need for any special
treatment from distributions.

So, does that sound like a workable plan, or does this sound like we
should be heading for extragear in the first place?

Also, one more question: _If_ we target inclusion in kdeedu, I suppose
that will mean we should port to KF5 _before_ entering review? And does
it make any difference, if we target extragear, instead? Should we take
care of porting to KF5, first, in any case?