[rkward-devel] files.kde.org vs. download.kde.org

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Feb 4 11:38:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:23:10 +1300
Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> Source code releases (alpha, beta, release candidate or final) should
> go on download.kde.org as this is more secure.
> As we make Git repositories available in tarball form it shouldn't be
> necessary to offer snapshots in source code form.

Ok.

> Generally we tend to avoid making Linux binaries available - leaving
> this up to various distributions to handle.

The only ones we have are debian binaries. This is essentially due to
Debian's long freeze periods, and no readily available infrastructure
for hosting backports (last time I checked).

> As for Windows / OSX - final releases usually go on download.kde.org,
> while betas, etc. go on files.kde.org.
>
> The above is how Krita handles it.
>
> Not sure what these bundles are exactly... can you provide more detail
> on these please?

Well, on Windows and Mac a "regular" installation is just too
cumbersome and error-prone. So we offer bundles that include everything
needed, i.e. R, and a basic KDE installation. These are currently ~160
MB for Windows, and ~450 MB for Mac(*). We don't do bundles for every
alpha, etc. but there are usually between one and three preview bundles
before any final release.

The source bundles contain the sources for the binaries in the bundle.
These are provided to be on the safe side regarding GPL compliance, but
they don't really serve any practical purpose beyond this, and
typically they don't see more than one or two downloads a week.
Currently each ~700 MB for Windows and ~1.3 GB for Mac.

Finally, we also have one odd file for Windows, containing a KDE 4.10.2
development environment all zipped up at 2.7GB (not including Windows,
or course). For some background on this:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-windows/2013-May/007556.html . Also
no more than one or two downloads a week.

(*) Hopefully, after porting to KF5, downloads will be a bit smaller,
and also there seems to be some progress WRT "standalone installers"
for Windows KDE apps. But we are not there, yet.