[rkward-devel] Import preview? (CSV)

jan d_jan at ymail.com
Fri Dec 18 14:14:51 UTC 2015

Am 17.12.2015 um 21:45 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> However, conceptually: What about plot previews in this solution?
> Plots tend to be tall (or at least rectangular), thus generally not
> suitable to append below a dialog. And in fact, having plot previews
> in a separate window, as we have now, has its own benefits (e.g. you
> can directly export the "preview" to a file via the preview's menu
> bar). So would we be looking for two completely separate (UI-wise)
> solutions to plot previews and data previews? Or can you see some
> common denominator? Regards Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Currently I would see both solutions as separate, at least from an
usability point of view – also because of some usability problems of the
preview-in-window solution (at least I assume those, one could test that
assumption to be sure, though)

The advantage of being able to export is nice, on the other hand it kind
of mixes preview functionality (enabling the user to choose the right
values) and the export function (saving the diagram etc.) For a really
nice export function, the window would stay, whereas for a good preview,
it needs to disappear when the "proper" view is rendered – and it is not
obvious if that preview window will stay around or disappear. (So, in an
ideal solution, imho the plot preview would be indeed attached to the
plot dialog OR it would render the preview in the output stream by
refreshing the diagram until the dialog is canceled (and the preview
removed from output, no harm done) or ok-ed (diagram just stays there))

Kind regards,
 Jan