[rkward-devel] rkward crashes R backend

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Dec 10 16:57:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 08:58:17 -0500
"Maureen Allyn" <mark.allyn at verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the very clear and prompt reply to my query.
>
> I will try compiling RKWard .  From your code snippet it is apparent
> you require CMAKE.  Is there a version requirement for CMAKE?  I am
> currently running cmake 3.3.1.

version 2.4 is enough. That's also covered by "apt-get build-dep
rkward", BTW.

> I too thought that a version mismatch might be the problem, and I
> tried to compile R with --enable-R-shlib switch. So, I got a copy of
> R-3.2.2. (64 bit) and tried compiling from source. Unfortunately, the
> "sudo make install" step failed with an error message "cannot stat
> NEWS.pdf: no such file or directory".  I don't know what to do with
> this.   Perhaps try compiling an earlier version than 3.2.2?

Sorry, cannot comment on this particular problem. I do suspect, the
real problem occurred earlier in the build process, though. Try
re-running configure, and look closely for signs of trouble in the
output.

> Would installing R from Michael Rutter's archive avoid the
> "--enable-R-shlib problem"?

Yes. You would not have to worry about compiling at all, and simply get
a ready-made recent package of R.

> Must the  --enable-R-shlib ALWAYS be set
> in order for RKWard to function?  (Or R-studio, for that matter).

Yes to both.