[rkward-devel] rkward crashes R backend

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Dec 9 20:02:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 14:27:46 -0500
"Maureen Allyn" <mark.allyn at verizon.net> wrote:
> A new install of rkward crashes the R backend when it launches.
> Rkward is running on a Ubuntu 14.04 ("Trusty) 64 bit system.  The R
> version on the 64 bit machine is not known and is identified by the R
> team as "R under development (unstable)".
>

> As a point of reference, an installation of Rkward does NOT crash the
> backend on a 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04 box. This version of R is 3.2.2.

this sounds like a version mismatch problem. In general, you should try
to make sure to use a version of RKWard that was compiled specifically
for the version of R in use.

This is a bit of guesswork, but it sounds like the R version on the
former system is a development/SVN snapshot. In this case, your only
safe bet will be to compile RKWard from source, too. Fortunately, this
is relatively easy on Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get build-dep rkward
xzf rkward-0.6.3.tar.gz    # get it from http://rkward.kde.org/download
cd rkward-0.6.3
mkdir build; cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DR_EXECUTABLE=/your/path/to/R
make
sudo make install

BTW, my very first guess would be that this version of R was compiled
without the --enable-R-shlib configure option. In this case, you will
have to recompile it with the option enabled.

A different, and very comfortable way to use RKWard with a fresh version
of R is installing R from Michael Rutter's archive:
https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/ubuntu/rrutter
and a matching version of RKWard from one of our "CRAN version of R"
PPAs:
https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel

Probably this is what you have on the 32bit box(?).

If I guessed all wrong, a sessionInfo() of the R version on the
crashing machine might be helpful.

> Any help would be appreciated.  It's a nice software.  Compares
> favorably to Rstudio.

Thanks for the praise. Hope this helps some. For follow-up questions,
please post to rkward-devel at kde.org (we have moved).