[rkward-devel] install packages from git

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Dec 6 12:24:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 22:08:45 +0100
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> i just wrote a new plugin:
>  https://github.com/rkward-community/rk.gitInstall
>
> it might not look that fancy, but with that in place, installing
> plugins (or R packages in general) directly from git(hub) could be
> made possible via links like this one:
>
> rkward://runplugin/Installfromgit::cmp_InstallfromgitInstllfrmgt/frm_Prvtrpst.checked=0%0AgitRepo.text=rk.ANOVA%0AgitUser.text=rkward-
> community%0Ainp_Cmmttgbr.text=develop%0Ainp_Sbdrctry.text=%0ApackageSource.string=github
>
> like it?

looks really useful!

Even more useful, if the plugin already came pre-installed, so if we
want Joe User to try the latest version of plugin XY, we could simply
tell them "Click on this link, then continue clicking OK, until you
have sent us all your money
^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H installed the plugin."(*)

In other words, I think it would make sense to include this in the
official distribution (and have it activated by default), only I'm not
quite sure, where it would go:

1) It does not get added to the menu at all, assuming users are
unlikely to use the plugin manually, in the first place.
2) Add it to File->Import, somewhere.
3) Add it to Settings, below "Manage R plugins and packages", which
may mean making it *too* prominently visible, though.
4) ?

(*): Seriously, this does raise some interesting questions on system
security. Although, at least, opening a plugin from a link never
auto-submits it (and it looks very reasonable to keep it that way, in
light of this).