[rkward-devel] Endless errors starting up org.freedesktop.dbus-system on OSX

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Oct 16 10:14:43 UTC 2014

hi,

Am Donnerstag, 16. Oktober 2014, 11:30:26 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> 3. /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist really just
> fires up
>   /opt/rkward/bin/dbus-daemon --system --nofork
> 4. Trying to run that, as a regular user, manually gives:
>   Failed to start message bus: Failed to bind socket
> "/opt/rkward/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket": Permission denied
> 5. The directory in question is owned by user "messagebus", so surely this
> won't work.

this is the *system* bus which is supposed to be started by calling

 sudo launchctl load  -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-
system.plist

*once* after KDE was installed.

> 6. Checking ps ax | grep "dbus" reveals that a dbus-daemon is running,
> though, with user messagebus. I _guess_ this was started by
>   sudo launchctl -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist

yes. so far, so good.

> Question: Did you run this, or a similar command on the Macs where RKWard
> is installed? Our troubleshooting instructions mention that this _might_ be
> needed, but no idea, whether that is the "normal" case.

usually, this should already be handled by the postinstall scripts in the
bundle.

> Question: Do you see a dbus-daemon process in your process list?
> 7. On startup, RKWard itself calls
>   launchclt -w /opt/rkward/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-
> session.plist
> 8. I suppose this connects to the system dbus-daemon.

yes, this is the *session* bus. according to https://community.kde.org/Mac it
should also be launched with "sudo"... but that portion hasn't changed in 2
years, so let's assume this is not the reason.

@aaron: did you already see this happening before september 2014? if not:

@thomas: can this be related to one of these commits:
 - 4802
 - 4803
 - 4822
 - 4834

> Well, in essence, this looks to me like something is trying to load
> /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist as a regular user.
> This tries starting up the daemon, fails, tries again...

another idea: is it possible that installing the RKWard bundle several times
(upgrades) and therefore running the postinstall script several time somehow
messes this up? i still don't have the best understanding of how these mac
bundle packages actually work, as apple used so many different formats and the
documentation is... sparse.