[rkward-devel] power analysis plugin

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Oct 8 09:49:56 UTC 2014

hi thomas,

Am Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2014, 13:43:33 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> - For the two sample tests, when estimating the size of one of the samples,
> why not always make it the second sample (i.e. first sample size provided)?

fixed (in the script).

> - Syntax error for estimating sample size in different sample sizes
> proportion test.

fixed (in the script). not the first time, all those commas are a mess :-D

> - In some cases, you get the not-so-helpful error message:
>  Error in uniroot(function(n2) eval(p.body) - power, c(2 + 1e-10, 1e+07)) :
>    f() values at end points not of opposite sign

fixed (in the script). applied you suggested message, seems to work.

> - For GLM, would it make sense to allow to specify "number of parameters to
> estimate", and "sample size (N)", instead of numerator / denominator df?

i went for the wording used by ?pwr.f2.test, but i admit it sounds a bit scary
;-)

> - In the generated printout() code, things might get slightly simpler, if
> you print the header earlier:

ok, partly changed it already in the script. will look at it later.

> - That said, I wonder, whether the following printout would be good enough
> (after the rk.header()):
>    rk.print.literal (capture.output (print (x)))
> (we could add a new function "rk.print.simple(x)" for this kind of output.
> It would probably make sense in other places, too).

to me it looks a bit more consistent with the RKWard output you're used to
now. it partly emulates what print.power.htest() does, but with rk.*
functions. for copy&paste scenarios, i'd prefer that table.

btw, if you have text for the help file, i would like to try to put it in the
rkwarddev script, to test a new possibility to generate .rkh files i
implemented just yesterday. it stores text for elements by ID in an
environement, and when rk.plugin.component() or rk.plugin.skeleton() use the
"scan" option for "setting" nodes, that text is automatically filled in. to
get the text into the environment, you can now provide it with the same
functions which generates the XML element, e.g.

 rk.set.comp("Example component")
 rk.XML.cbox(
   label="Cherry",
   value="cherry",
   help="Check this to get a cherry on top.")

without rk.set.comp() you'd have to 'add component="Example component"' to the
rk.XML.cbox() call, which is a bit annoying after the third time... to see the
stored text, run

 rk.get.rkh.prompter()