[rkward-devel] [rkward-users] [rkward-announce] Upcoming release, call for testing and translating RKWard 0.6.2

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Oct 7 16:29:18 UTC 2014

hi,

Am Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2014, 17:58:15 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> - Start from the command line using rkward.exe --debug-level 4. This should
> print a bit more info.

that helped. it turned out the installer set completely wrong paths, namely to
a non-existent drive K:

we had already found that for the .lnk file to rkward.exe, but the debug
messages showed us that rkward.ini also looked for R on drive K:

> - Does any window show up, at all? Is that literally the whole error
> message?

yes, it was the whole message. i started R in cmd.exe then, this is what was
returned:

<snip>
c:\RKWard>RKWard.exe.lnk
Debug: path of the process "dbus-daemon" seems to be outside of the
installPath: "C:/Program Files/RKWard/KDE/bin" "C:/RKWard/KDE/"
Debug: path of the process "klauncher" seems to be outside of the
installPath:"
C:/Program Files/RKWard/KDE/bin" "C:/RKWard/KDE/"
Debug: path of the process "kded4" seems to be outside of the installPath:
"C:/Program Files/RKWard/KDE/bin" "C:/RKWard/KDE/"
</snip>

and by the way, i now see why windows users tend to send screenshots instead
of text like above: microsoft successfully managed to make copy&paste from
that console like impossible, "select all" was the only thing that worked and
we had to strip the whole history. adding to that, magically translating
folder names seems like a terrible "feature"; "C:/Program Files/" is shown as
"C:/Programme/" in german, but using that path in cmd.exe caused really
strange errors.

so in essence, the problem was wrong paths. the installer did not use the
installation path selected at the beginning of the process.