[rkward-devel] Question regarding menu ordering for plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Nov 29 14:46:34 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Friday 28 November 2014 01:18:53 Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> My vote: alphabetical sorting only within each group

ok, I did that (and if we don't like it, it will be easy to remove the
alphabetical sorting).

Now a lot depends on coming up with a sensible grouping. We'll have to see
about that. Here are some details of the current implementation:

- You can define groups inside any menu like this:
  <group id="somegroup"/>
- If you want the group to be separated from other entries, use:
  <group id="somegroup" separated="true"/>
- Entries, menus, and groups can be appended to a specified group, using:
  <entry component="..." group="somegroup"/>
- In fact, it is also possible to define groups (without separator lines)
implicitly:
  <entry component="first" group="a"/>
  <entry component="third"/>
  <entry component="second" group="a"/>
- Group names are specific to each menu. Group "a" in menu "Data" does not
conflict with group "a" in menu "Analysis", for example.
- I believe, the most common use case is defining groups at the top, or at the
bottom of a menu. For this, there are pre-defined groups "top" and "bottom" in
each menu.
- Entries within each group are sorted, alphabetically. Groups appear in the
order of declaration (unless appended to another group, of course).
- Menus and entries without group specification logically from a group (""),
too.

Please experiment with this, if you care. As long as this is not released, it
will be easily possible to change details. Afterwards that may be more
difficult.