[rkward-devel] [rkward-cvs] [rkward] rkward: erm, ok, here are the missing files to the last commit...

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Nov 28 00:07:40 UTC 2014

hi,

Am Donnerstag, 27. November 2014, 19:43:58 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Thursday 27 November 2014 15:44:45 m. eik michalke wrote:
> > A  +12   -0    rkward/r.xml
> > A  +13   -0    rkward/rdata.xml
>
> these work nicely for me. However, I think they should be merged into one
> mime file, and that should be called rkward.xml . So there's no significant
> risk that this could clash (now or later) with (R-) mime types declared
> from other sides.

are you sure? i mean, these file types are not really RKWard files, but
ordinary R files, so i'd say their MIME type can only be R or R data,
respectively. the connection between these MIME types and applications is
defined in *.desktop files instead, where one MIME type can have multiple
associations. i'd find it a bit confusing if there were such pseudo-MIME types
like, say, firefox.xml, chrome.xml and rekonq.xml, all for *.html files.

of course it would be better to have these global MIME types rather defined by
either R or KDE itself, so RKWard can just assume they're there. but from what
i found on the net, this has not been accomplished for many many years. there
still doesn't seem to be any package defining a MIME type for R files yet, at
least in the realm of ubuntu and CRAN packages.

btw. there's some other issues: RKWard doesn't recognise *.rda files yet; and
if you click on an *.RData file, you're asked *once* whether the workspace
should be saved -- after that, the current worspace is just silently replaced
with the content of any other RData file you click. single objects can't be
added to the workspace this way either. there should probably be two methods
for handling *.RData files: complete workspace or individual R objects, and
you should always be asked before your workspace is wiped.