[rkward-devel] RKWard Git repos up for testing

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 10 18:37:09 UTC 2014

Hi all!

So we just hit revision number 5000 in SVN, yesterday. Let's celebrate this by
getting ready to switch to git ;-)

As discussed, the repository is split into two (actually three, but one of
them is just an archive of our JSS article). The main repository is at
  git at git.kde.org:scratch/tfry/rkward-svn-import.git
or (anonymously) at
  git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/tfry/rkward-svn-import.git
A simple web view at
  http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch/tfry/rkward-svn-import.git
Of course this is just a temporary place for the purpose of testing. Which is
what I would like to ask you to do.

Things look pretty good to me, but I'm no expert in looking at git branch
visualizations, and it would really be great, if the experts (Jeremy, Nicolás)
could give this a short look. One thing that may be particularly touchy is the
switchover between SVN branches we did on December, 30, 2007 (SVN revs 2289
and 2290). Here, SVN trunk was _moved_ to branches/release_branch_0.4.9/, and
branches/KDE4_port/ was moved to trunk.

What svn2git made of this looks pretty sane to me, but again, I'd like to be
sure. One detail that is worrying me, here, is that svn2git deemed it
necessary to create the two tags
  backups/development/port_to_kde4 at 2290
  (3ad98a97b114510d97061e06fbde8247453d40ee)
  backups/master at 2289
  (bd1394fd635d0203666621955010bb7646284c15)
These are lightweight tags and can't be pushed. Would these be important to
keep?

In case it is relevant, a summary of the key ingredients of the conversion:
Getting SVN repo: rsync -av svn.code.sf.net::p/rkward/code rkwardsvn
Conversion rules:
http://sourceforge.net/p/rkward/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/rkward/scripts/svn2git_rules?format=raw

The second repository is for external plugins. It is much easier, since this
only ever was a single branch, and never had any tags. It's temporary place is
https://github.com/tfry-git/rkward-external-plugins . Questions regarding this
one:
- Where exactly should this end up? I think it should be group-owned, somehow.
- Meik, do you recall, whether there is anything left in rk.subset that we did
not merge into the main distribution? Can this be deleted?
- Also, Meik, could you add some README to the "stuff" directory? This is
supposed to be the bikeshed for stuff that is not really something, but should
not be thrown away, either?

Thanks!