[rkward-devel] Error report

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun May 4 08:30:05 UTC 2014

Hi!

Thanks for your report. For virtually all bug reports, it is important to know
the exact version(s) of R and RKWard involved. The easiest way to gather this,
and further potentially relevant info is pasting the output of

  rk.sessionInfo()

Alternatively, use Help->Report Bug for a template.

On Saturday 03 May 2014 23:14:25 Troels Græsholt-Knudsen wrote:
> I am writing this because your program asked me to, as I have experienced
> some breakdowns tonight. Here's the popup:
>
> Connection closed unexpectedly. Last error was: QLocalSocket: Remote closed

This means the backend / embedded R engine has crashed.

> Here is what I was trying to do: was cleaning up my dataset a doing a
> View(dataset) to figure out which column to clean next. I have tried this
> three times tonight by now. My dataset has been imported as a csv and
> consists of some categorical variables plus a large amount of text.

In theory, RKWard should not interfere with View() at all. This is simply the
default R data viewer. So, rather likely, the problem is somewhere in R
itself. You can try

1) Doing the same in a terminal session of R (outside RKWard). See if you get
the same crash, there.
2) Try if RKWard's own data viewer does any better:
	rk.edit(dataset)
(Use Edit->Enabled editing to get a read-only view).
3) My first guess is that the "large amount of text" plays a role, here. Try
if removing / limiting this helps any.