[rkward-devel] RKWard

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 20 08:43:47 UTC 2014

Hi!

On Thursday 20 March 2014 15:55:30 Aleks Schein wrote:
> Starting from today (20/03/2014) I am getting the following message when
> opening RKWard:
>

> "Connection closed unexpectedly. Last error was: QLocalSocket: Remote closed

[...]

> It means absolutely nothing to me and I have no idea where it comes from.
> If there was something I have done wrong-I do not know what it was. I was
> trying to install additional package and it did not work. Then I closed the
> program. After opening it again after a while, the message start to appear.
> And, apparently the program is not doing anything anymore.

The most common cause of this problem is that you upgraded from R 2.15.x to R
3.0.x without upgrading RKWard as well. You need at least RKWard 0.6.1 for
that, and it has to be a build of RKWard compiled against R 3.0.x. We don't
know, what system you are running, but if it is e.g. Ubuntu, suitable RKWard
packages can be found at https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel .

If actually, all you did was installing an additional package, then apparently
your installation of R somehow got broken in the process, and now it will not
start up properly. Start a plain R session from a terminal / console, and look
out for any error messages. Try
  library("rkward")
to see if the rkward R library can still be loaded. If in trouble, run
  sessionInfo()
in addtion to that, copy-and-paste all the output, and most likely we can
point you to a solutoin.