[rkward-devel] TikZ support

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 19 11:13:45 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Monday 17 March 2014 13:26:25 meik michalke wrote:
> for those not reading the svn logs ;-) the development version of RKWard and
> its recent daily builds include a small new feature in the plot export
> dialog: the output format now also lists LaTeX/TikZ.

I did read the logs, but calls for testing features are one of those things
that often "can be done later", and then I forget about it.

As an experiment, I have set up a new tracker
(https://sourceforge.net/p/rkward/testing/) where we could keep track of
requests for testing. I guess for actual discussion of features / layout, the
list is still the best place, but I feel it may help our collective memory of
what still needs testing.

Feel free to toy with the tracker's administrative settings (categories,
etc.), if you like.

> it simply loads the tikzDevice package (i.e., install the package if it's
> not available yet) and sets the output device to tikz, which saves the plot
> as a *.tex file. this is nice for papers and beamer presentations. in KDE,
> you can quickly check the outcome by opening that file with KTikZ.
>
> i'd appreciate if you'd give it a try and send feedback whether it works or
> causes problems. works great for me so far :-)

I tried exporting a simple plot(rnorm(100)). Worked fine for me.

> once that's confirmed, i'd
> like to add some more options to control tikz(). but i'm not sure where to
> put them -- a new tab right of the PS/PDF/GS options?

Hm, as far as I can see, there is not much overlap (none?) with ps/pdf/gs-
options. So that might point to a new tab. OTOH, we might consider renaming
the tab to "Device specific options" or something, and switch the tab's
contents between .tex and .ps related options, dynamically.