[rkward-devel] RKWard problem

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Mar 14 19:06:27 UTC 2014

Hi again,

On Friday 14 March 2014 21:36:11 Peter Mayer wrote:
>      I accepted the default path for the download, so no spaces.
>      The restart seemed a good idea, but it doesn't seem to have made
> any difference.  I can't tell if R is running or not.  In the R Console
> box, the ">" prompt appears, but when I try to execute a simple "LS()"
> it hangs and never executes the command.

well, R is not running, then. The ">" prompt is just a visual.

Try the following, though: Start a plain R instance from
RKWard\R\bin\i386\R.exe . Does this start without error messages, does it
appear functional?

>      I'm running Win-x64.

So far our Windows binaries are 32-bit, only (for lack of ressources to
provide several compiles). This _should_ not be an issue, although I wonder,
whether 32 vs 64 bit might play a role, in your case, somehow.

If you have a local .Rprofile, please try moving it out of the way.

If none of this helps, please do the following: Open a command window, enter
  cd C:\Your\Installation\Path\RKWard\KDE\bin
then start rkward as
  rkward.bat --debug-level 5
wait for the error message to appear, then exit rkward.
Inside the command window, you should be told, where diagnostic output is
being directed to. Locate the most recent pair of rkward.frontend.XYZ and
rkward.rbackend.XYZ log files, and post them (you may have to zip them up,
first).

Thanks!