[rkward-devel] rk.Teaching package installation...

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Aug 13 12:31:42 UTC 2014

hi aaron,

Am Mittwoch, 13. August 2014, 18:37:21 schrieb Aaron Batty:
> Awhile back, Alfredo Sánchez Alberca told us all about an amazing-sounding
> set of plugins for RKWard in his package rk.Teaching and he wanted to have
> them added to the main repository. The response was, "These ought to be in
> RKWard by default!"
>
> And then nothing.

actually, the response was a bit more like "we wait for the updated english
version and put it in the repo then" ;-)

judging from the github repo, there seems to be no change in the package
status since then:
 https://github.com/asalber/rkTeaching

@alfredo: how should we proceed? add the outdated package -- is it fit for
duty?

> I am trying to install the package now, but can't seem to get it in, as it
> has to be downloaded from his site, and none of the three versions of
> instructions for installation seem to work on OSX

i think the problem could be that R for OS X expects binary packages by
default, but what you can download from the page is the package sources.
instead of

 install.packages("rk.Teaching", repos=NULL, dep=True)

try

 install.packages("/path/to/rk.Teaching.tar.gz", repos=NULL, dep=True,
   type="source")

i had to restart RKWard to have it recognize the new pluginmaps, and RKWard
complained that one particular XML file (sort.xml) was missing. apart from
that, it seems to run here.

btw, once you installed the package in one machine, you can actually zip up
the folder rk.Teaching in your R library as a .tgz file, and there you have
your binary package ;-) this will work a) for any package that only includes
pure R code (no FORTRAN, C, etc.), and b) also for windows, if you make it a
.zip file.