[rkward-devel] Clean installation on Windows

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Oct 29 11:50:18 UTC 2013

hi,

Am Montag, 28. Oktober 2013, 19:14:15 schrieb SANCHEZ ALBERCA, ALFREDO:
> I've Rkward installed in some windows systems and I want to upgrade to
> v.6.0. Wich is the safest way of upgrading? How to remove the old Rkward
> and do a clean installation?

as with the OS X version, there is no real upgrade feature yet for the windows
port. but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

removing RKWard should be easy -- just delete the folder it was unpacked to.
that way its configuration will be left untouched, as by default it is kept in
a folder called ".rkward" in your user directory. in case you defined a
personal library directory for R packages, these will be kept as well (but
probably useless, as the upgrade will most likely install a newer R release as
well, so you'll have to re-install those packages anyway). this means: if you
want to completely purge an installation, remove the .rkward folder and R
library as well. but for upgrades, you should rather keep them.

after you removed the previous RKWard installation, simply unpack the newer
bundle to the same directory. otherwise some old configuration *might* make
problems, when it looks for stuff in places that no longer exist.

btw., if your systems are networked, it's possible to install RKWard to a
network device and run it directly off it. makes future upgrades much easier ;-)