[rkward-devel] My R is dead!!!

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu May 23 18:12:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thursday 23 May 2013 14:54:07 Abdulkarim A. Alwuhayb wrote:
> The R backend will be shut down immediately. This means, you can not use any
> more functions that rely on it. I.e. you can do hardly anything at all, not
> even save the workspace (but if you're lucky, R already did that). What you
> can do, however, is save any open command-files, the output, or copy data
> out of open data editors. Quit RKWard after that.

I hope you have followed the bit of advice about saving your scripts? If not
you should find auto-saves next to your script files with ending
.rkward_autosave (if they had already been saved at least once), or in your
temporary folder (for entirely unsaved script files).

Your interactive R commands (entered on the R console) should still be in the
command history. savehistory() for turning this into a script file.

> Since this should never happen, please write a mail to
> rkward-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, and tell us, what you were trying to
> do, when this happened. Sorry!"

This message has been reworded a bit in the development version, as, in fact,
much of the time, a crashing R backend is not RKWard's fault, but e.g. a
faulty R add-on package. If you can reproduce the issue, please let us know,
how.

> what i was doing ,i was installing new packages but i think the main cause
> is because i tried to use the (interactive plot) ,please help i really like
> R but now my work is dead.

Well, for script files, see above. For the actual data (those things that you
had not saved, before), RKWard may have been able to create an emergency save
file. There is not guarantee that this has worked, but if it did, you will be
offered to load the emergency save file the next time you start RKWard.

> i am anticipating your response with high hops

Well, I hope this helps you recover (most of) your work. Feel free to ask
follow-up question, but in fact, there is probably not much more we can do.