[rkward-devel] Trouble loading packages on the Mac

Frederik Aust austf at ifado.de
Thu Mar 14 10:30:58 UTC 2013

Hi again,

Am 13.03.13 16:00, schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Ok, I can replicate the problem (your variant of the error message), if (and
> only if) installing the package as a binary. I.e. checking RKWard-
>> Preferences->R packages->Build packages from source, then re-installing lme4
> fixes the problem. The binary package also fails when trying to load it in a
> plain R console.

Okay, I can verify, that building the packages from source fixes the
problem for me. Thanks for the hint.

>> Any ideas what's going on here? So far I have not had any trouble
>> installing packages on my Macs. I'm suspecting it might have something
>> to do with the OS X version. We are having trouble on Macs running
>> Mountain Lion (10.8.2) while I'm running Lion (10.7.5) on my other
>> computers that didn't give me any trouble.
>
> I don't think the OSX version is the problem. I did my testing on 10.6.8. The
> likely difference is the R installation. Could you check for differences in
> the output of "R.version" on the machines where it works, and where it does
> not work?

I think you are right. Apparently, we have a computer in our work group
running Mountain Lion without causing an trouble in RKWard. Looking into
it a little further I saw, that the colleague was running RKWard 0.5.7.
If I'm not mistaken that version of RKWard builds packages from source
by default, right?

> Were the computers where this works installed by the same method (installation
> bundle, I assume)?

They were all installed using the bundle. Here's the info one of my
other computers where I have not had any trouble so far:

---------------------------

 > rk.sessionInfo()

RKWard version: 0.6.0
KDE version (runtime): 4.8.3 (4.8.3)
KDE version (compile time): 4.8.3 (4.8.3)
Local KDE directory: /Users/username/Library/Preferences/KDE/
RKWard storage directory: /Users/username/.rkward/

Debug message file(s) in use (these may contain relevant diagnostic
output in case of trouble):
/var/folders/hq/x1h_vr196f1_0k_yth9vnfqm0000gn/T/rkward.frontend.MJj270
/var/folders/hq/x1h_vr196f1_0k_yth9vnfqm0000gn/T/rkward.rbackend.xJL283

R version (compile time): 2.15.1  (2012-06-22 r59600)
R runtime session info:
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] rkward_0.6.0

[1] tools_2.15.1

---------------------------

Interestingly, on this computer I did not build the packages from source
(the option in the preferences is unchecked). I stalled RKWard and lme4
on this machine quite a while ago. Not sure whether this explains anything.

--
Frederik Aust, Dipl.-Psych.

Leibniz Research Center for Working Environment and Human Factors
Research Group: Perceptual cybernetics
Ardeystr. 67
44139 Dortmund
Germany