[rkward-devel] Trouble loading packages on the Mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 13 17:19:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wednesday 13 March 2013, meik michalke wrote:
> after some digging, here's a workaround:

[...]

> well, i wasn't able to verify whether libgfortran.3.dylib is fully backward
> compatible with libgfortran.2.dylib. but after these steps, the binary
> package of lme4 loaded without any errors or warnings.

well, the workaround shows that the breakage is on a fairly shallow level.
However, the broader theme is that there is simply no guarantee that the CRAN
Mac binary packages are compiled in a way that is compatible with our
Macports-based installation of R. They may work, now, but I guess the problem
is fairly likely to come back to bite us - possibly in much more subtle ways.

As inelegant as that is going to be, I think it might be a better idea to use
the official CRAN Mac binary version of R for the bundle. Not sure how this
could be made to work. Perhaps roughly like this:

- First build as usual using Macports
- From update_bundle.sh, wipe the R port, install CRAN R binary, in its place.
- Rebuild RKWard only, to make sure it is linked to the CRAN R binary,
appropriately
- Package everything

Well, my idea of how the bundling works is still rather limited. Does this
seem entirely impossible?

(Normal macports-based source installation would continue to work the way it
does, although probably, there, I should revert the default to installing R
packages from source, not binary?).