[rkward-devel] changes to the mac version

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jan 15 10:28:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Monday 14 January 2013, meik michalke wrote:
> as for the update, it seems custom to install all of a bundle to
> /Applications/<my_bundle>, and uninstall it by dragging this folder to
> trash. currently, most of the RKWard bundle is installed to /opt/rkward,
> so you have to remove both folders to get rid of it. i'm thinking maybe we
> should drop the /opt/rkward location and have MacPorts install all the Qt
> and KDE stuff to /Applications/RKWard as well. probably to a hidden
> folder, so users won't get confused, or maybe there's some other secret
> magic technique apple invented to make the app folder appear clean...

Keeping everything in a single directory sounds reasonable to me. The Qt docs
on deploying on Mac might give some hints:
  http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/deployment-mac.html
(not on how to create the package from Macports, but on where to place files
in the bundle).

> and finally, i think i need to checkout homebrew some time, as i've just
> read it can be used for packaging as well, and KDE seems to be available.

Looks interesting, indeed. Of course it would so much easier, if there was
only *one* standard packaging tool to worry about...