[rkward-devel] build fails with clang

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Apr 1 16:56:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sunday 31 March 2013, meik michalke wrote:
> i'm trying to dig into the problems with the mac port. llvm-gcc-4.2 will be
> removed with a next release of XCode, so RKWard should be ready to build
> with the forthcoming default, which is clang. i've recompiled everything
> several times over the past two days and solved various issues. in fact,
> everything compiles fine now using XCode 4.6.1 -- except RKWard itself. it
> breaks at about 92% completion (but the reason seems to be a linking error
> at 86%): http://r.reaktanz.de/main.log
> any ideas why?

this is somewhat strange. Anyway, I have commited at patch to trunk to build
without R_data_class (which is not a formally declared function in the R
headers, but should still be accessible). Could you test that? Perhaps it
could be added to the 0port file for 0.6.1 as a patch.

> note that R-framework *can't* be compiled with clang, because that one
> doesn't support FORTRAN; the port forces the use of gcc 4.7 instead.
> qt4-mac on the other hand sets gcc 4.7 on its blacklist because of other
> reasons and compiles fine with recent versions of clang. can either of
> this cause the linking problems?

I'm not sure, but I would guess so. I think the safest bet is to use whichever
compiler was used to build R (as you have done, AFAICS). In future versions,
perhaps we could allow separate compilation of the backend (which will come in
handy, once we add support for a remote backend), and then it should be
possible to use different compilers for the frontend, and for the backend.

Well, the timing of all this mac trouble is unfortunate, but I don't think we
can push back on the release date, by any significant amount, as RKWard 0.6.0
will be broken with R 3.0.0. So that's roughly 24 more hours to fix
everything...