[rkward-devel] Changes to plot_options plugin, and a few related glitches

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Sep 26 18:12:49 UTC 2012

Hi!

Working on my backlog of TODO items, I have added support for customizing the
size of figure margins to the (embedded) plot_options plugin. Since figure
margins need to be set *before* actually creating the plot, this means plugins
embedding plot_options have to fetch *three* snippets of code from the
plot_options plugin: Code to add before the plotting command(s), code to add
in the main plotting command, and code to add after the plotting command(s).

Many plugins were already doing this, although so far, we had only used the
latter two snippets of code. I had to adjust a bunch of others, though. If you
are developing a plotting plugin outside our SVN repository, be sure to check.
I have enhanced the documentation around plotting plugins to state this more
clearly:

http://rkward.sourceforge.net/documents/devel/plugins/specialized_plugins.html#specialized_plugins_plots

Also note that the documentation now strongly recommends to put *everything*
between a pair of rk.graph.on() and rk.graph.off() inside a try() statement.
An example .JS-file to follow when creating a plotting plugin is provided.

While adjusting the IRT plugins, accordingly, I came across a two minor
glitches related to some plotting options:

- For the 2PL plot, some options, esp on the axes-tab do not seem to have an
effect. Options without an effect should be disabled / hidden.
- Many plots have an argument named "type". This clashes with the option for
points/lines of the same name. Probably the corresponding tab should be
disabled. (Actually, I guess that part of the plot_options plugin should be
removed, completely, as it will work only with a select few plugins. But
that's a different story, for later).