[rkward-devel] quantal

stfs stfs at fs-analyse.dk
Tue Oct 30 20:41:00 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 08:24 PM, stfs wrote:

> On 10/30/2012 07:51 PM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tuesday 30 October 2012, stfs wrote:
>>> I have two different issues with two different versions of rkward:
>>>
>>> Issue 1: rkward in the repository:
>>> Recently rkward from the repositories started to give an error on startup
>>> "The rkward R-library could not be loaded at all, or not in the correct
>>> version.". If I continue it will soon crash.
>> basic rule of thumb (sometimes you can get away without this, but often you
>> can't): If you're using an R version from CRAN, you can't use RKWard from the
>> normal repository. We have that covered on Ubuntu, though. See
>> https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel  . You should pick a variant marked "CRAN
>> version of R".
>
> Wasn't really aware of this. Thanks.
>
>>> It started about 3-4 weeks ago. I was extremely busy at the time and
>>> just hurried and installed the svn version (currently ver. 4398) after
>>> removing the one from repository (synaptic "complete remove").
>>>
>>> Issue 2: compiled rkward trunk:
>>> the "configure shortcuts" menu is missing.
>> Likely an installation problem of sorts. Generally, the least error-prone
>> solution seems to be to use
>>    cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
>> which will install to /usr, rather than /usr/local.
>
> Solved it! And God does it start fast now.
> It's great to see how rkward moves forward.
Unfortunately it turned out I accidentally installed from old sources.
Once I updated the "configure shortcuts" was gone again, and further it
started crashing as well.
I then, by hand, deleted anything rkward related on my whole system,
installed from the new sources again (with the options above).
This time no chrashes but still no shortcuts menu.
I then added the the stable ppa "cran-version" and installed rkward v6
over the compiled one. No shortcuts menu but crashes.
Deleted everything again, installed v6 from PPA, no shortcuts menu but
no chrashes.
Uninstalled, removed PPA, deleted, installed v5.7. Now: shortcuts menu
and no crashes.

So the crashes seem to be due to corruption/incompatibilites in the
config files _somewhere_.
The menu issue could be due some change in sources in kde, perhaps. Or
maybe I'm missing some library or ... well I don't know.
Anyway, now I have a working system again.