[rkward-devel] new landing page

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 29 09:32:08 UTC 2012

Hi Meik,

On Thursday 25 October 2012, meik michalke wrote:
> ok, i've started with a new welcoming info:
>  o http://rkward.sourceforge.net
>
> the download links are still missing, but it already looks much more
> inviting to me :-)

looks nice!

Meanwhile, I have started experimenting with migrating the Wiki into our
project web space (see https://sourceforge.net/blog/hosted-apps-retirement for
background info). It sort of works by now, although several issues still need
to be resolved. You can test it at http://rkward.sf.net/wiki/ . Don't worry
about getting the latest edits into the wiki. The database import is really
the least of our problems. What worries me more is:

  - Handling user permissions. SF promised to provide OpenID integration of
some sorts, eventually, but months after the announcement, it's still not
there. And will it suit our needs, when it is? BTW, if you manage to get the
wiki to mail you a password reset token, you should be able to log in and
edit. This didn't work for me, so far, and the wiki will refuse to send more
than one password reminder per account per 24 hours.
  - Administration. Once everything is set up, we'll have to make sure it
keeps working. This includes updating to fix security holes, *and* potentially
coping with changing configuration details of the SF project web service.
  - Performance. This is my main concern, really. Much of the time the wiki
works ok, but often enough it becomes extremely slow. I'm not sure, whether /
to what degree this can be mitigated by caching, but I fear that this will
remain a problem, and supporting this is unlikely to be a top priority for
SF.net.

So, I think we should start considering alternative solutions. One would be to
use an external wiki provider (such as wikia.com), another would be to move to
SF.net's new integrated wiki (you can create your own wiki to experiment with
on your SF user profile page). In both cases, we could consider keeping the
landing page at it's current address, using static html, or light scripting,
and moving "only" everything else to a new wiki.

Thoughts / ideas?