[rkward-devel] [rkward-cvs] SF.net SVN: rkward:[4365] trunk/rkward/rkward/dialogs/rkloadlibsdialog.cpp

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Oct 15 16:16:38 UTC 2012

hi,

am Montag 15 Oktober 2012, 17:36:35 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Monday 15 October 2012, meik michalke wrote:
> > btw., i would recommend to rename the "include dependecies" checkbox in
> > the R package management dialog into "install suggested packages" and have
> > it unchecked by default.
>
> Done (for the development version, not for 0.6.0).

cool :-)

> > i always found this option confusing.
>
> I wonder whether the meaning of this option used to be different, when this
> was first added, many years ago, or whether I simply never read the help
> page, correctly.

i believe it was confusing from the start ;-) the default has always^TM been
to fetch real dependecies automatically, and if you set the option called
"dependencies" to TRUE, "suggested" packages were also installed. i ran into
this when i installed "ez" for the first time, it took like an hour until the
installation of dozens of packages was finished... at least from 2.15 on,
"Suggests" is not passed on to all of those packages any longer, as far as i
understand the manual page.

if RKWard was to make this fully transparent to the user, the dialog could
probably even have individual checkboxes for all valid values of this argument
("Depends", "Imports", "LinkingTo", "Suggests" and "Enhances"; probably in a
frame called something like "Solve dependencies"), with the first three being
checked by default and some logic to detect whether the default was changed.