[rkward-devel] windows quirks

Enguerrand de Rochefort enguerrand at rochefort.de
Wed Nov 21 14:12:06 UTC 2012

Hi all

Meik asked me to do some additional testing regarding a crash occurring on
my windows XP machine upon opening of the file browsing dialog and answer
the following questions.
Note that I used the setwd() function to change directories where you
asked me to "cd to" another directory. Hope that that's what you had in
mind.

> Could you experiment some more with this? What if you
> - cd to another user's directory

This prevents the crash. When I then go back to my own home dir the crash
does not occur anymore either. Only after restarting RKWard the crash can
again be reproduced from within my homedir.

> - create a new folder under Documents and Settings, and cd there

...prevents the crash

> - cd to some sub-folder of the initial wd

...prevents the crash

> - cd to some other directory with spaces in its name

...prevents the crash.

> and open a file dialog?

By the way, even if the application does not crash, the file browsing
dialog takes a long time to come up.
(almost one minute)

> What if you cd to a safe location, open a file dialog, and then click
> Places-"Home"?

Nothing happens. Neither does the application crash, nor does it go to my
home directory.

> Could you check, whether you have read rights to all directories up the
path?

I can browse all directories up the path. The security tab in the folders'
context menus does not mention me explicitly but gives all users read
access.

I have tested two more conditions:
- When I change the properties of the desktop launcher such that the
application starts in C:\ rather than in my home directory and open a file
dialog without any setwd calls the crash does not occur.
- When I change it such that the application starts in C:\Documents and
Settings\testdir the crash does not occur either.

So the only procedure to reproduce is to start RKWard with my homedir as
startup folder (through desktop launcher setting) and opening a file
dialog before doing any directory changes.

Let me know if there is any other helpful test I can do...