[rkward-devel] RKward Crash while updating CRAN packages

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat May 5 07:40:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Friday 04 May 2012, Aaron Sheldon wrote:
> Sucks this is the first message I post to this list. I did want to float
> volunteering to write a plug-in/wizard for survival analysis. Oh well, here
> is the mostly unhelpful details:

thanks for the report. Bug reports are always helpful!

This particular bug has already been fixed in the development version. So you
may want to consider giving that a try. See http://p.sf.net/rkward/svn . For
Ubuntu, we also provide daily builds (https://launchpad.net/~rkward-
devel/+archive/rkward-dailys).

Note that the bug is not 100% reproducible. It will only occur for some
certain numbers of updateable packages, and with a bit of bad luck. That's why
we did not catch it in time.

Of course, as Meik has pointed out, running RKWard as root should not be
necessary, even for installing packages to the system wide libraries. Running
with root privileges is not advisable for general considerations, and -
depending on the setup and usage of kdesu(do) - may leave configuration files
non-writeable for the regular user.