[rkward-devel] Problems with rkward install -- Resolved??

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 24 18:25:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

sorry for not giving you a timely reply to your previous mail.

The first resource to check in debugging is the debug logs. Unfortunately, on
the various versions of Windows, these are installed to different, rather
obscure places. Search for files with names starting with
  rkward.frontend
and
  rkward.rbackend
Usually somewhere inside your home directory (but could also be in the system-
wide temporary folder). You can increase verbosity of these logs by starting
rkward with
  --debug-level 4 (or 5)
from the command line.

My guess is that there is a rather fundamental problem with invoking the
backend executable, for whatever reason. The first function to look at, here,
is RKFrontendTransmitter::run() (rbackend/rkfrontendtransmitter.cpp).

On Friday 24 February 2012, Michael Cohen wrote:
> Applied fix to machine and still same problem.  Is there a relatively
> simple guide to comiling rkward with debuggerf
> so I can see where it crashes.

Sorry, I don't have a guide for that. Are the debug symbols actually stripped?
If so, there is probably a global emerge option to control this. Personally, I
compile rkward without using emerge on Windows.

To start rkward through a debugger, use the
  --debugger 'path/to/gdb.exe'
option. I am not entirely sure whether that will work on Windows ATM, though
(usually it's easier to start normally, and then attach gdb afterwards, using
the --pid option. But of course that does not work for problems during
startup). If it does not, edit rkward.bat to call the debugger, properly.

> Its evidently machine dependent, doesn't
> have anything to with multiple R installations and seems to effect my HP
> Pavilion Elite dt2000t with a Nvidia only.

That's why my first guess would be that some piece of software on this machine
prevents rkward from starting the backend, somehow.