[rkward-devel] GUI element for nxn matrix

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Aug 30 11:55:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wednesday 29 August 2012, Birk Diedenhofen wrote:
> That sounds good! A simple table for numerical input would definitely cover
> my use case. But I think it would be better to have the matrix input in a
> modal window that pops up and not in a tab like the data.frame editor.

ok, that should be doable, too. Either way, don't hold your breath. At the
moment, I'm trying to finish some other things that need to be done before the
next release. And I'm not sure, how soon I'll get around to this, afterwards.

I'd suggest that you look into an interim solution based on the current
options. Probably that's simply a varselector / varslot for selecting the
correlation matrix as an existing R object (if you throw in an as.matrix()
call, users can also supply an all-numerical data.frame, thus allowing them to
enter the data in the existing editor).

Additionally, please open a feature request, once again listing your
requirements, so it will remain visible until I find some time to work on it.
It may also be interesting to start thinking about how exactly this could
eventually be incorporated into the dialog UI. If you have a specific idea in
mind, perhaps you could provide a mock-up / drawing.

> Would it also be possible to use this for vectors (nx1)? Or is their
> currently a way the user can type in a vector of arbitrary/a given length
> using the GUI?

No, not yet. But it's definitely on my list. The best option at this time is
editing a 1-column data.frame. A few plugins simply use a text <input>,
instructing the user to enter their data separated by comma or spaces, then
turn that into a vector (i.e. in the .js:
    x = "c (" + getValue ("x").replace (/[, ]+/g, ", ") + ")";
).