[rkward-devel] crashing bug and RKWard problems on Mac

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Aug 8 17:24:44 UTC 2012

hi,

am Freitag 29 Juni 2012, 16:33:18 schrieb meik michalke:
> - On start up I get two successive error messages:
>
> 1. "No mime types installed. Check that shared-mime-info is installed,
> and that XDG_DATA_DIRS is not set, or includes /usr/share."
>
> 2. "Could not find mime type application/octet-stream"
>
> - Possibly related to this, I was unable to open R-Scripts (I
> encountered no problems with saved workspaces). I got the following
> error message when trying it via the "Files" column:
>
> "The url you are trying to open
> ('file:///Users/frede
> ikaust/Desktop/test.R') is not a local file or the
> filetype is not supported by RKWard. Do you want to open the url in the
> default application?"

in the meantime, we were able to nail down this particular problem by
inspecting the differences between

 find /opt/rkward -type f -exec ls -a {} \; 2> /dev/null | sort

on both machines, the one RKWard was built on (and runs fine), and the other
with the bundle installation (and the errors reported above). it turns out the
bundle doesn't contain most of the files in

 /opt/rkward/share/mime

but only a few of them. as a workaround, replacing the folder with a copy of
the build machine's solved all problems:
 o http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/mime.zip

now i only need to figure out how to ensure all mime types find their way into
the bundle in the first place. i'll see if defining "shared-mime-info" as a
dependency is the key.