[rkward-devel] debian package testing

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Apr 23 10:24:42 UTC 2012

hi,

thanks for the feedback!

Am Montag, 23. April 2012 10:06:11 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Thursday 19 April 2012, meik michalke wrote:
> > i'd like to invite you to try installing rkwarddev:
> >  o http://rkward.sourceforge.net/R/pckg/rkwarddev/
>
> for me, dpkg refused to install, because I had not upgraded to the official
> R 2.15.0, yet. Isn't that requirement more strict than necessary?

actually, i'm not sure. these are binary packages, i.e., they're built against
the installed (CRAN) R libraries. i've noticed R warnings if you load
libraries that were built with another version of R than the one running,
recommending to re-install the package. wouldn't this be even more confusing?

at the moment roxyPackage cannot use any other than the installed R libraries
(because of path issues), so i've made them a fixed requirement. the source
packages should require lower versions, though.

> > do you think the information on the repository is obvious enough? would
> > you rather not link to the deb package itself in the first place?
>
> I think, the direct link to the .deb might be a distraction, indeed. The
> more helpful piece of info is the link to the instructions on adding the
> repository to the apt-sources. On first glance, I completely overlooked
> that, and proceeded to download the .deb, manually, instead.

ok, thanks for this insight. i think i'll remove the direct link then, or move
it to the bottom of the repository instructions.

i've also started a vignette for the package, because it might help others
getting into its way of things:
 o http://R.reaktanz.de/pckg/roxyPackage/roxyPackage_vignette.pdf
it shows how to make a full package from nothing more than a single function,
just by calling roxy.package() with some parameters.

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf