[rkward-devel] typo: type or types?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Sep 27 11:50:41 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Monday 26 September 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> hi,
>
> in the t-test plugin, the varslot has the attribute
>   type="numeric"
> although the attribute reference suggests it should be
>   types="number"

I had to look it up, myself. Actually the reference is correct, while the
usage in the vast majority of plugins is incorrect. Effectively, no type filter
is applied in all those varslots.

That said, I'm not too sure, whether it would be a good idea to go about and
fix the plugins, right away. I fear the concept may be too strict in some
cases, and probably isn't too self-evident (the varslot will simply refuse to
accept objects not matching the filter). Perhaps it would be a better idea to
allow the user to select any object they like, but instead to give some sort
of visual indication, that this could be a problem (like a small warning sign
next to the variable name, with an appropriate tool tip). What does everybody
else think about this? How strict should we be in "protecting" the user from
selecting a wrong type of data?

Note: Essentially the same consideration applies to the classes="" attribute,
which is used much less frequently, however.