[rkward-devel] New package management

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Sep 26 08:48:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sunday 25 September 2011, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> congrats to the new package management. Generally I like the new dialog but
> I'm not entirely sure about the somewhat "hidden" feature to remove a
> package. Wouldn't it be better to have a single tab just for package
> removal?

to those who have already tried it: The actual removal was not implemented
until a few minutes ago, so if you found the feature in the UI, but could not
get it to work, try again after an svn up.

I am somewhat biased against a new tab, because this means more code than it
may look like, and I believe package removal is not a feature that will be
used very often. Also, I feel encouraged by the fact that after all, obviously
you found the feature, before I even wrote anything about it. I have added
some tool tips to the header of the list, which I hope will give some more
hints about less obvious parts. If you have ideas for more refinements within
the current approach, I'm all ears. But of course, if everybody agrees that
package removal should be in a separate tab, let me know, too.

On a more general note, everybody, please test the new package management
dialog. A lot of code has changed, here, and I wouldn't be surprised, if there
is still a bunch of bugs to find.