[rkward-devel] ANOVA plugin

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 21 10:27:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thursday 20 October 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> i added a dialog for pairwise t-tests to my ANOVA plugin and then packaged
> it, to test if that also works as it should. so in theory, anyone here
> should be able to install the package "rk.ANOVA" from the RKWard R
> repository (packages for R 2.11, 2.12 & 2.13; windows, mac & linux).
>
> be aware that rkwarddev (>= 0.04-1) now also manages to write dependencies
> to the DESCRIPTION file, which means that installing this package will
> trigger the installation of "ez", which in turn has some dependencies.
> also, this is a test, the plugin can sure be improved further.

nice! Some quick feedback (I did not do too much testing):

ANOVA:
- The "Data" varslot could be made to default to the current data.frame (if
one is opened for editing). Like in the "Sort Data" plugin. Simply connect the
special "current_object" property to the "available" property of var.data.
- For purely between designs, is it really necessary to specify a subject id?
Could this be made to default to rownames (x) or something similar?
- Not sure, whether saving the results to the workspace by default is a good
idea. On any subsequent run, users will have to check the "overwrite" option
(or turn off saving).
- I'm not entirely sure, how this would work out, but have you tried swapping
the "Model"-options and those options which are currently on the first tab?
After all, you will always want to specify a model, but for the other options,
it's often ok to leave the defaults.

Pairwise t-Test:
- The R default for p.value correction is "holm". Perhaps the plugin should
use the same default?
- Ideally, the plugin would support both wide (separate variables) and long
(outcome + group variable) format. Perhaps a generic conversion facility would
be a good candidate for an embeddable plugin, since this would come in handy
in many places. (See box plot for an example of a plugin that already supports
both formats).

General:
- All your rk.header()s start at level=2. For consistency, they should start
at level=1, with the lower levels reserved for subsections. If you don't like
the looks of that, fix pages/rkward_output.css, and / or rk.header(). Having
consistent levels of headings will become particularly important, once we add
table of contents / navigation features to the output.